A lot of my clients ask me before their engagement sessions what advice I have for them, so I thought it was about time that I made a blog post about it!
1. Relax! I know that it's stressful to be in front of a camera, shoot, I get nervous too! Everyone always thinks that they are super awkward in front of the camera and they don't know what to do, however, you have to realize the more relaxed you are the better. I don't think the perfect hand placement is the most important thing in an image, I think your expression and how you're interacting with your partner is most important.
2. Wardrobe is important! You want to look and feel your best for your portrait session and a big part of that is what you're wearing. If you want to feel special, confident, and sexy then you have to wear something other than your normal. Granted, you should wear something comfortable and that you can move in, but how often do you get your portraits taken? Why wouldn't you plan something special to wear for this special occasion?!
3. Coordinate your wardrobe, don't match it! Unfortunately jeans and white t-shirts was a thing in the 90's, but it's no longer the 90's! Couples shouldn't be too matchy-matchy, but your outfits should coordinate. Prints are totally fun, accessories make it unique, and complimentary colors just make it all come together.
4. Don't forget the grooming! I know you are super busy, honestly I understand the chore shaving your legs can be some days, but don't forget the little things! Iron out those wrinkles in clothes, guys don't forget to shave the back of your neck, and drink an extra couple glasses of water so your skin is glowing and fresh.
5. Make the right make-up choice! Have you done your make-up test for the wedding? Your engagement session can be a great time to do that. I know I am not great at my own make-up for fancy events, so it's totally worth it to spend a little money and have it done professionally! Guys, don't forget your foreheads get shiny and lips dry too!
6. Don't be shy! My favorite images to take are the ones when you'll be all cuddled up with each other. I tell my couples to get all cuddly and cozy, a lot! Say absurd things to make each other laugh, run hand-in-hand through a field, have an intimate moment (keep it PG, please ;) ) between the two of you, but just don't be afraid to show your fun, crazy, adventurous, romantic, and intimate sides.
7. Lets get adventurous! If you want something unique that usually means getting off the beaten path and needing a little more of an effort! You can totally wear some more comfy clothes as we hike in and change in to a cute and flowy dress at the final location! Haha, I totally realize that's not for everyone, we can also find a swanky airbnb space to rent for some unique locations.
While a lot of these tips may seem general, or obvious, it's good to just remember the basics. Just know though that the most important and best advice that I can give is to just have fun! Engagement sessions are a special time to spend quality time with your partner, enjoy it!